Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Saying Farewell to My Car

When I joined the Mount I entered into a new life, which has required letting go of my old life. However, that letting go is a process, and I’ve reached another important milestone, because tomorrow I’m handing off my car to my nephew.

I have had my own car since I graduated from college in 1984. My dad helped me pick out every car I’ve owned, including the current one, which I bought in 2002, the year before he died of cancer. Thus, in addition to being a symbol of independence and freedom, my car is a connection to my father that I now need to relinquish. Thirteen years after his death, the grieving continues. Yet it is good to grieve, so I can embrace the fullness of life of a woman whose father has died, and who now lives in a community where the expenses, responsibilities, and privileges associated with car ownership are shared.

As with everything I’ve let go of thus far in my transition to the Mount, I have found that it helps to be grateful for how my material goods have blessed me, and pray that they may now be a blessing to others. My 2000 Toyota Corolla has been a dependable companion through my years at Shantivanam, Lawrence, and Leavenworth, and during that time it carried me safely on innumerable trips to my home away from home, St. Louis. Although the odometer now stands at around 168,000 miles, I hope it will continue to serve my nephew well in Elkhart, Indiana, and wherever his path may lead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment