Friday, January 26, 2018

Delight as a Doorway to Contemplation

I haven’t intentionally practiced visio divina (praying with images) lately, but I was led into it naturally when I was at Sophia Center recently for a journaling retreat. I found a comfortable corner to do some writing and found myself drawn into delight by three ceramic birds perched next to a lamp. One bird looked exceptionally alert, one looked curious, and one looked contented. It occurred to me that these are three characteristics we need to foster in our spiritual life.

Jesus and St. Benedict both caution us to stay awake—otherwise, we might miss God’s coming into our lives and join Jacob in saying “Surely the Lord is in this place and I did not know it” (Gen 28:16). Curiosity is a way of maintaining both alertness and humility, for curious people know they don’t know everything and are prepared to be surprised and enlightened by God’s creation. An attitude of contentment helps us be grateful for what is and be fully present wherever we are.

We should not overlook the capacity of delight to lead us into contemplation. It was my delight in these three bright and whimsical little birds that led me to meditate on alertness, curiosity, and contentment. The next time you experience delight, let it lead you into contemplation and see what you discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment