Wednesday, April 4, 2018

The Work of Easter


A new concept I have come across in my reading this year is that the work of Lent—fasting, service, prayer—is followed by the work of Easter. My first reaction was incredulity. The work of Easter? I thought Easter was about feasting, rejoicing, and recovering from the demands of Holy Week!

Although we know that the resurrection of Jesus was an awesome event, we often prefer to ignore the fact that awe has a component of responsibility. What will our response be to this revelation that life no longer ends with the death of the body? What does it mean to be part of the Body of Christ, which transcends death? How does that change our priorities and the way we interact with others and with all of creation?

My first impulse is to cling to the stones that block the tomb of my old life to keep God from rolling them away. I’m comfortable with the darkness of the small world I have created for myself, which is centered on my needs, my desires, my compulsions. Viewing the glory of Jesus risen requires a new way of being, and that can be frightening and daunting. To resist our cultural imperative to attain, fear, and be constantly busy and instead divest, trust, and rest is difficult. To do so is a type of work, but fortunately, we have a job site mentor, the Spirit that Jesus sent as promised, to be our guide.

The season of Easter is rightly a time for feasting and rejoicing, but at the same time, our awe at the glory of the resurrection calls us to continue the work of building the kingdom of God.

3 comments:

  1. I am writing reflections, and one of them is on my Easter journey. I will definitely “pack” your reflection and take it out, try it on, and walk forward with it. I look forward to reading your poetry collection. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Jennifer. I was searching for your book. Where can I purchase it? Thank you, Amy Adams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      My poetry book, Still Life: Contemplative Poems, is self-published and not available online. We sell it at the gift shop at Mount St. Scholastica and at our Sophia Spirituality Center. If that's not an option, I can send you a copy if you provide your mailing address. The book is $12 plus postage. Thanks for your interest in my poetry!

      Delete