Monday, May 21, 2018

When the Chips Are Down


One of sessions at the Novice and Director Institute explored different ways of engaging in lectio divina outside of the traditional method of using scripture. For example, we were invited to spend some time outside to let nature lead us into meditation.

I came upon a pile of 14 bags of premium red cedar wood chips and stopped for a bit of conversation. “After being a majestic tree that stretched up into the sky, it must be tough to be chopped up for mulch,” I said. Surprisingly, what I heard back was, “Yeah, being a tree was great, but this is good too. I’m kind of looking forward to being closer to the earth and protecting other plants so they can grow.”

I didn’t expect to learn a lesson in humility from some bags of wood chips. However, we all face times when we are called to let go of who we were and accept new limitations. If we don’t cling to who we used to be, we can find blessing both for ourselves and others in our new situation. So says my friend, the red cedar mulch. I’m grateful I took the time to listen to one of the many insights that nature, in all its forms, has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment