Monday, June 24, 2019

Our Call From Birth


Two years ago today, on the feast of the birth of John the Baptist, I entered the novitiate year of my monastic formation. On the surface, it would not appear that John the Baptist and I have much in common. Many extraordinary events surrounded his birth, whereas the only somewhat extraordinary thing connected with my birth was that I arrived on my due date (which occurs in only 5% of births!). Still, God called forth each of us from our mother’s womb, and we each witness to the presence of God among us, although in very different ways.

John the Baptist heard the singular call to prepare the people of his time for the coming of Emmanuel in the person of Jesus. We who live after the death of Jesus are called to witness to the presence of God with us in the form of the risen Christ and the Spirit. Although we share this call, the way we respond to it is still singular through our choices and our unique gifts and talents.

The birth of John the Baptist reminds us that it is a sacred and awesome calling to proclaim God’s presence through our lives. No matter how our response to that call unfolds, we can attempt to live it out with the good zeal, faithfulness, and humility that John exhibited.

2 comments:

  1. I love your article. June 24 is Ron’s and my wedding anniversary. I’ve known it is the feast of the birth of John the Baptist, but have not reflected on it’s meaning as you have here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete