Wednesday, July 3, 2019

A Map of the Way


When I prepare to go on a trip, I always go to MapQuest to look at my route and print out directions so I know exactly how to get there. Therefore, I can relate to the question the apostle Thomas asks when Jesus says, “Where I am going you know the way.” Thomas doesn’t pretend to understand what Jesus is talking about but asks plainly, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” Jesus responds, “I am the way and the truth and the life.” 

In a manner of speaking, Jesus offered himself as a map to Thomas and to all of us. Where Jesus the Christ is, we will find truth and life with our God. And the way to be united with Christ is to do what Jesus did—in the words of the prophet Micah, “To act justly and love mercy and walk humbly with your God.” Jesus assisted the downtrodden, offered forgiveness, and humbly sought to do what God asked of him. Our own acts of justice and forgiveness and the times we practice humility are our mile markers, our landmarks, in following the way of Jesus; they let us know we are on the right path.

Christ is very much our companion on life’s journey. As Jesus said, “Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our dwelling with them.” Rather than asking us to go to a particular place to find God, Christ dwells in us so wherever we go, God already is present. Thus we can explore the delights of the world in the company of our intinerant and yet ever-present God.

No comments:

Post a Comment