Friday, August 23, 2019

Getting in Alignment


Recently I have heard it mentioned that there is a difference between attempting to do God’s will and aligning ourselves with God’s will. It’s a subtle difference that is worth exploring.

In general, we can say that it is God’s will for us to be in relationship with God, respect all forms of life, act with integrity, and serve others, especially the poor and marginalized. The ways we can align ourselves with God’s desire for us are as unique as we are, whether we choose to be a teacher, a parent, a health care provider, a monastic, or a professional athlete. The how is not as important as the desire; as Thomas Merton said in his well-known prayer,

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.

To align ourselves with God’s will entails a sense of humility and mystery, whereas seeking to do God’s will implies that one has been given a specific task and a specific way of doing it. We have all known people who, in their zeal to do what they believe is God’s will, are actually imposing their will on God by insisting on following a particular path, regardless of their own gifts and limitations and the needs of the people they encounter.

It is significant that St. Benedict begins his rule with the words “Listen and incline the ear of your heart.” Listening is key to discernment of how to align ourselves with God’s will. When we feel a sense of peace and well-being, we are on the right track. When we feel agitated, restless, and angry that other people aren’t cooperating with our desires, it’s time to ask if we are truly doing God’s will or imposing our own will on God and others. May we all be blessed in our discernment, because to be aligned with God’s will leads to the good life that comes with wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment