Wednesday, December 16, 2020

In Our Advent Mist

The other day as I listened to a reading from Scripture, it sounded like the reader said “God is in our mist” instead of “God is in our midst.” As it turn out, both statements are true!

I believe that God is in our midst when we are living in a mist of uncertainty, fear, confusion, or grief. We can’t see clearly when we are in these states; as with trees on a foggy morning, we sense a presence but can’t quite make it out. In a sense, we are “misty eyed,” and when our eyes are no longer teary or clouded, we can see that God was there all along. As it says in Isaiah 41:10, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand.” Further, Psalm 38:10 proclaims, “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”

Advent is a particularly misty season; we are aware that Christ has come, but we haven’t yet seen the fullness or clarity of Christ who is in our midst. Advent in the year 2020 is even foggier than normal because so many people in the world are dealing with the hardships and losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Still, when we can be present to others who are in a fog as God is present to us, the image of Christ starts coming into greater focus.

In Dickens’ story A Christmas Carol, Ebenezer Scrooge said, “I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year.” To be Christ for one another in the mists of life is perhaps the best way to honor Christmas and keep it all the year.

 

1 comment: