Monday, January 11, 2021

Prayerful Perspectives

Last Wednesday afternoon, after watching coverage of the invasion of the U.S. Capitol building for 2½ hours, I pulled myself away from the television to go to evening prayer. As I entered the chapel, a feeling of gratitude washed over me that we would be turning to God in prayer at this time of crisis. St. Benedict showed wisdom in prescribing times to gather for prayer, so that it becomes instinctual, and also for stipulating that “On hearing the signal for an hour of the divine office, the monk will immediately set aside what he has in hand and go with utmost speed…. Indeed, nothing is to be preferred to the Work of God” (Rule of Benedict, chapter 42, verse 1 and 3).

I mentioned to my friend Ruth that this experience had made me grateful for my routines, and she said, “Yes—as long as they are done with intention.” One of the purposes of praying the Liturgy of the Hours is to keep reminding ourselves that God is present and that we are to rely on God, not on ourselves. The books of the prophets and the psalms are full of reminders that God is our protector and refuge; for example, the prophet Isaiah says, “God indeed is my savior;  I am confident and unafraid. My strength and my courage is the Lord (Is 12: 2-3).

Prayer gives us perspective when we are in difficult times: God’s ways are not our ways. God brings justice to those who are oppressed. God has plans for us that give us hope and a future. God’s faithful love endures forever. Prayer also unites us with all others in the Body of Christ and strengthens our resolve to love our neighbor and place ourselves in God’s loving care.

St. Paul said to the Philippians, “The Lord is near. Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil 4: 5-7).

So, then: Let us pray, with trust, intention, and thanksgiving. As Ralph Abernathy said, “I don’t know what the future may hold, but I know who holds the future.”

No comments:

Post a Comment