Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Yielding to Our Vocation

Sister Joan Chittister says that for anyone with a vocation, whether it is to be a nurse, musician, car mechanic, or monastic, “…there is a deep down, simmering fascination in the subject at hand. Or to put it another way, our vocations are already in us.”

I can attest to that; I have had a “deep down, simmering fascination” with God since I was a child. It took a long time for me to surrender to it, however. Monastic life is no longer a common vocation, and being countercultural is not an easy path. The world is not geared for those who crave silence, solitude, a simple life, and a primary relationship with God. Eventually I saw the value of “seeking my tribe” in the monastery. Some people expressed surprise at how readily I adapted to monastic life, but as one with a contemplative temperament, I have found it much easier to deal with expectations in the monastery than expectations in the secular world.

I’ll be making my perpetual profession of the Benedictine vows of stability, fidelity to the monastic way of life, and obedience on May 15. A few days ago, someone asked me if I was getting cold feet, and although I certainly appreciate the ramifications of making this lifelong commitment, I am ready to make these vows. For me, perpetual profession is an acknowledgment and affirmation of my vocation and a vehicle for me to be fully myself.

It's always a cause for delight when a person accepts and gives expression to her vocation, no matter the subject of her deep down, simmering fascination. I am grateful for the whole-hearted support of so many family members, friends, and colleagues who will be celebrating with me.

8 comments:

  1. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you, Jennifer. Blessings as you continue to say yes to God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sharing this journey with us is a blessing and I'm deeply grateful for that. Congratulations and know that you are in our prayers, just as I'm sure you hold us in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. so Great...congratulations . what an honor to be chosen by God

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless Your Heart ❤️🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  7. not written? well lived!!! and we share in your zeal for life, each on our own ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shanti Jennifer: Judy and I are with you in Spirit at this moment and during this wonderful day. Best Wishes, Love, and Many, Many Blessings. Robert.

    ReplyDelete