Monday, November 28, 2022

Approaching Advent with the Heart of a Child

Spending time with a toddler is a great way to begin Advent, as I discovered during a Thanksgiving visit with my 13-month-old great-nephew, Robin.

• I had to wait in anticipation for him and his parents to arrive              

• I learned to be vigilant to keep small items and breakables out of his grasp

• I observed the art of welcoming as he gave a hug to every teddy bear in sight

• I awakened to the wonder of exploring the world as he delighted in everything he encountered

• I remembered how to be still as he rested in his mother’s arms

I was also grateful that Robin’s parents said yes to bringing him into the world, echoing Mary’s yes when she was invited to give birth to Jesus. We all are offered various opportunities to be open to new life, and even though it often leads to a certain degree of disruption, inconvenience, and self-sacrifice, saying yes leads to a richer and more satisfying life.

May you approach this Advent with the heart of a child as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus, who never lost the capacity to welcome others, to be awake to God’s presence in the world, and to rest in the stillness of prayer.




No comments:

Post a Comment