Friday, August 18, 2023

Unexpected Encounters

This morning, while working in the garden, I received a lesson in attentiveness. I was trimming dead leaves out of a horseradish patch and came face to face with a large black and yellow garden spider. To be fair, it attempted to alert me to its presence with markings on its back of what appeared to be a set of eyes that glared at me fiercely. Fortunately, I saw the spider before I plunged my (ungloved) hand into the foliage that surrounded it.

Lately I’ve been trying to give my mind a bit of a rest by doing more physical work. However, this strategy is doomed to fail if I continue to pay more attention to the thoughts that cross my mind than the actions my body is performing. This mini moment of gardening drama reminded me to be present and focus on what I’m doing in the present moment.

I’m also grateful that I noticed the spider because it really is beautiful (from a distance). Furthermore, it provided a reminder that when I garden I’m part of an ecosystem with different inhabitants, each of which has an important role to play. I need to be respectful of the co-inhabitants of the garden we share.

Sister Imogene Baker, OSB, used to say, “Be where you are and do what you’re doing.” That’s sound advice for anyone who seeks to be open to the Divine Presence that is revealed in all of creation — especially in unexpected encounters.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing. Thank you Jennifer for this reminder of being present and quieting the brain …we are always in such a hurry aren’t we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your affirming comment, Mary. Yes, being in a hurry is engrained in us; it takes a lot of effort to adopt a more contemplative mindset.

    ReplyDelete