Thursday, October 12, 2023

Seasons of Waxing and Waning

In October we had a “super moon,” and I have been enjoying its remnants in the pre-dawn sky. Even in its journey of waning from three-fourths to half full to a crescent, the moon has seemed particularly brilliant, clear, and lovely.

The October moon reminded of a spiritual practice suggested by James Larkins: “During the waning moon, I ask the Creator to remove from my life whatever is not in my best interest. During the waxing moon, I ask the Creator to add to my life whatever will help me become the person I am meant to be. As I walk, I reflect that faith will be my guide.”

Along with the waning moon, the season of autumn invites us to the process of letting go and clearing out so that future growth can occur. Today I gathered pole bean pods that contain the seeds of next summer’s plants and pulled up the spent plants and vines. I’m also finally feeling the urge to sort through boxes of stuff I saved from my pre-monastic life so I can let go of things I no longer need and pass them on to others who can put them to good use.

Ultimately, of course, we ourselves will become spent as we age and move closer to the doorway of death, when we will no longer be concerned with the rising and setting of the sun and the waxing and waning of the moon. The prophet Isaiah offers a beautiful meditation as we approach this time: “No longer shall the sun be your light by day, nor shall the brightness of the moon give you light by night; rather, the Lord will be your light forever, your God will be your glory. No longer will your sun set, or your moon wane; for the Lord will be your light forever, and the days of your grieving will be over” (Is 60: 19-20).

John the Baptist said of Jesus, “He must increase, but I must decrease” (Jn 3:30). Those who follow Jesus are called to do the same. The irony is that decreasing (waning), or dying to ourselves, is actually the path to increasing (waxing) through our unity with Christ, who will be our light forever.

2 comments: