Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sacred Surprises

One of the most challenging and humbling aspects of joining the Mount community is the effect that my decision has had on the life of others. For example, the time I’m able to spend with close friends in St. Louis will be much more limited, I had to say goodbye to my Scripture study group in Leavenworth, I’ll be cutting back on my prison ministry, the Sisters at the Marywood living group now have a new roommate to adjust to…the list goes on and on. Like ripples that form on a pond when a stone is thrown into the water, our decisions radiate throughout our immediate community and beyond, which is perhaps the most important reason to engage in careful discernment.

At times of decision making I am especially grateful to be part of the body of Christ, for you always provide support and patience even when my decisions change your own lives in ways you might not have chosen. This call to support each other, though sometimes difficult, enables us to participate in the flow of God’s life and opens us to sacred surprises.

I am actually most anxious about the effects of my move on my two former feline companions, Ellie and Gracie, for our close bond has been severed, and I’m concerned about what this loss will mean for them. They are currently staying with the friend who is buying my house, but their cohabitation with his own cat has not been peaceful, and I need to find them a new home. I am hopeful that someone will be open to the sacred surprise of living with a beautiful, patient, wise black cat and a playful, inquisitive calico!

No comments:

Post a Comment