Friday, October 28, 2016

Blessed Are They Who See Beautiful Things

This morning at dawn, as I was heading to mass, I heard my name called by Sr. Helen Mueting, who wanted to show me a spectacular view of a tree, crescent moon, and star that was visible through an upper window in the dining room hallway. I hadn’t noticed it myself and was grateful to Sr. Helen for pointing out such a beautiful scene. It was a wonderful way to start the day.

This experience reminded me of a quote from the book The Color Purple by Alice Walker: “I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.” I don’t know if it makes God angry, but God is likely disappointed and sad for us, I imagine, when we don’t see and enjoy the beauty of creation in which we are immersed.

One of the great benefits of living in community is that others often draw my attention to beauty that I am too preoccupied to see. This call to be mindful of beauty helps me practice gratefulness and provides me with opportunities to pause and experience awe. I am grateful to those who are attuned to beauty, and echo the words of Camille Pissarro: "Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment