Monday, October 31, 2016

God's Forgetfulness

On this day when we celebrate Halloween, I’m grateful to my cousin Gwyndolyn for reminding me of a bit of wisdom from my favorite TV witch, Aunt Clara from Bewitched: “I know I’m a little vague at times, but on the other hand, when I forget something, I’m definite.”

Actually, these words could just as easily have been spoken by God. We’ve all experienced frustration with God’s vagueness when our path is not clear and we don’t feel like we’re receiving any divine guidance. However, as Sr. Mary Irene Nowell reminds us in her book on the psalms, Pleading, Cursing, Praying, when it comes to forgetting, God is quite definite: “What God remembers, exists; what God forgets, ceases to be.” No wonder the psalmist prays these words in Psalm 25:6-7:

Remember your compassion, O Lord, and your faithful love, for they endure forever. Do not remember the sins and rebellions of my youth. Please remember me according to the measure of your faithful love and your goodness, O Lord.

A good rule of thumb is to not forget that which God remembers and stop remembering what God has forgotten. As Aunt Clara knew, forgetting can sometimes be a definite virtue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment