Friday, July 28, 2017

Serendipity

“Love of Learning” was the theme of the conference I attended last weekend with women in formation from other Benedictine communities. At one point, we were asked to recall a time when we were excited about learning something new. For me, the memory that first came to mind was taking a calligraphy class with Mike O’Hare during my time at Benedictine College. My fascination with words extends to typography, so it was a pleasure to learn how to use the calligraphy tools, study the formation of letters, exercise discipline in practicing the lettering, and ultimately create something beautiful. “Huh,” I thought to myself. “Calligraphy is a meditative practice—maybe I should include it in my schedule during the novitiate.”

After I returned from the conference, Sr. Loretta McGuire asked if I could help her decorate a couple of cakes for the Dooley Center jubilee reception. She inquired as to whether I had “a good hand” and could write a couple of messages on paper doilies to place on top of the cakes. Thus, within three days after returning from the conference, I was presented with the opportunity to use my (rusty) calligraphy skills. I take this as confirmation that I should include calligraphy practice in my novitiate agenda.

Don’t you love the rare occasions when God delivers a direct message? I wonder, though, if those occasions aren’t as rare as we think. It might be that a connection exists between taking the time for contemplation/listening and our ability to pick up on what God might be suggesting to us. At any rate, it’s always a delight when God uses serendipity as a messenging tool!

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite memories from Benedictine College is taking direction from Mr. O'Hare in calligraphy---the long tables, tall windows in the South Ad. building and the fascination of watching the master calligrapher face me and scripting upside down with his left hand, proceed to offer a few examples of properly shaped "bowls" on letters, then glide to the next student as I raised my fallen jaw off the nib of my pen and proceed to script another "d". Calligraphy has kept me grounded when the floor seems to be moving. One can craft beautiful letters and construct meaning when breathing is even. What a wonderful closing sentence: "it’s always a delight when God uses serendipity as a messenging tool"! I have read many of your blog posts at "just the right time". Thanks for sharing your gift with us....

    ReplyDelete