Monday, August 21, 2017

Finding Wisdom in Darkness

One of the most remarkable aspects of the total eclipse of the sun was how rapidly it got dark in the middle of the day. Typically humans try to escape darkness, but this event resulted in a communal search for darkness as people gathered to watch the moon block the sun. I can’t help but believe this event will have positive effects, because as Dr. Aileen O’Donoghue noted at a retreat at Sophia Center, “All of God’s created cosmos is intended to reveal the sharing of God’s life and love. The darkness came into being through the Word and is not separate from God’s creative love.”

Unfortunately, today it is getting more difficult to experience total darkness because of light pollution. When I was in my mid twenties and in need of some perspective, I was fortunate to spend a few nights at my uncle Barney’s farm in an isolated area in Doniphan County, Kansas, where I marveled at a darkness so complete I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. Instead of being frightening, it was oddly comforting, like being covered with a blanket of depth and stillness. Ironically, what I needed to overcome a sense of inner darkness was darkness itself.

As Psalm 19 proclaims, “And night to night declares knowledge.” Darkness reveals things we can’t see in the light, such as stars and the extent of the universe, engendering humility and reverence. Darkness itself is God’s creature, with night falling for the first time 500 million years after the Big Bang. We shouldn’t panic when we find ourselves in the dark, because God is comfortable there. God can always find us and, at the appropriate time, guide us toward the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment