Friday, August 25, 2017

Take Me As I Am

Yesterday at mass at the Mount, our Communion song, Take O Take Me As I Am, included the following refrain:

Take, o take me as I am
Summon out what I shall be
Set your seal upon my heart and live in me

I was musing about the different shadings of these words at different times in our lives. Consider what it means for people in their early twenties to sing these words, when they are energetic and inexperienced and have a youthful desire for God. Middle-aged persons and elders sing it with an understanding of their shortcomings and yet with the belief that God still calls them to change and growth. Then, at death, we humbly bow and ask God to accept us as we are, with the expectation that at the resurrection our Creator will summon out what we shall be and live in us forever.

It is a gift when a song presents us with a mantra we can carry with us not only throughout the day but for a lifetime. I am grateful to John Bell, who wrote this song, for sharing this gift with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment