Monday, November 27, 2017

What God Values

Today after morning prayer a striking sunrise caught my eye through the east windows outside the choir chapel. Stark trees highlighted by a distinct layers of blue and peach compelled me to say “Wow,” but I didn’t stop long enough to savor the scene and let it seep into my soul. I had e-mail messages to respond to, you see, and if I didn’t tend to them now, I’d have to do it later, which would interfere with my plans for the rest of the day. When I walked by those windows again fifteen minutes later, the vividness of the sunrise had been washed out by clouds and a watery gray light.

Later at mass we heard the story of a widow who contributed two small coins amounting to a penny to the temple treasury. Nobody thought her contribution had any value, but it was precious in God’s eyes, because it was a sign of her devotion and selflessness. Similarly, most of us don’t think that paying attention to creation is a good use of our valuable time, but such attention is precious to God, because it shows a willingness to put aside our own agenda to show gratitude for the gift of the world.

The next time I notice the sunrise I hope I can recall the words of Welsh poet W.H. Davies: “A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.”

No comments:

Post a Comment