Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Love and the Quality of Our Attention


Recently I came across an intriguing definition of love by J.D. McClatchy: “Love is the quality of attention we pay to things.” If love is equated to attention, then the people and things to which we give our full attention indicate to us what we most love.

It stands to reason, then, that if I truly love God, I will take some time each day to give God my full attention. I thought of that today when I was tempted to put off my personal prayer/lectio time to attend to an editing deadline. I knew if I didn’t give God my full attention before starting work, it wasn’t likely to happen later in the day, so I set aside my anxieties about work for a half hour of prayer. That time apart gave me a calmness and confidence that comes from being aware of God’s love, which grounded me in the midst of a busy day.

Someone once said, “What we love to do, we find time to do.” I don’t usually think in terms of loving prayer, but I do miss it when I don’t make time for it, so perhaps I’m on the pathway to a fuller expression of love of the God who always makes time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment