Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Breathing Into New Life


Sr. Melissa Letts, who died on September 14, spent eight years at Mount St. Scholastica (after transferring her vows from Red Plains, Oklahoma) quietly attending to her work and her art and not so quietly rooting for Oklahoma football and basketball teams. Because of her unassuming, no-fuss demeanor, her store of inner wisdom often went unnoticed. However, this changed for me when my formation director, Sr. Marcia Ziska, asked several professed sisters to share some advice with me as I entered my canonical novitiate year. This is what Sr. Melissa wrote:

Realize this is a process.
Relax and breathe.
Enjoy the moment.

Now that I have finished my novitiate, I can see that these simple words contain profound wisdom. Furthermore, her words apply not just to the novitiate but to life itself. Life is a process of learning how to love God, others, and ourselves. We are more likely to learn how to do this when we relax and breathe, inviting God’s Spirit to be with us, instead of trying to impose our own will as we make our way through life. Each moment is a gift to be enjoyed, not improved.

As we shared stories of Sr. Melissa at her vigil service, Prioress Esther Fangman told us that when Sr. Melissa received the news that she would be dying soon, after the initial shock, she said, “I know God loves me, I know the community loves me, and I love myself. I’m ready to go.” She lived out her inner wisdom and gracefully surrendered to the new life to which God was calling her. I’m grateful to have her wisdom and example to guide me as I continue on the monastic journey to the everlasting life we will share.

No comments:

Post a Comment