Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Reforming My Approach to Lent

When I speak about Lent to the inmates at Lansing Correctional Facility, I tell them that Lent is meant to be a time of conversion, which means turning our lives more completely over to Christ and his way of life. I note that the Church is wise in setting aside a special time to focus on conversion, because it is a challenging process and, without the mutual support provided by the other members of the body of Christ, we would just as soon remain in our comfortable thoughts and patterns.

A couple of years ago, I remember standing in line next to Sr. Cecilia Olson in the Mount dining room, and she mentioned she was looking forward to Lent. “Why?” I asked. For me, Lent had always been a period I approached reluctantly—a time of self-discipline that I knew would be good for me but that I wasn’t going to enjoy. She, however, viewed it more as a time to leave behind old ways of living and embrace new life in Christ.

If, as noted on the Mount handout on Lenten community observances, “Lent is about changing ourselves so that we have hearts more prepared to be open to love,” that ultimately is a cause for joy. This year, I hope that I can reform my old ways of thinking about Lent and approach it not with grudging reluctance but as an opportunity to grow in the capacity for love and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment