Monday, May 15, 2017

A Flowering Presence


Recently a friend gave me the book Gifts of Near-Death Experiences by Sheila, Dennis, and Matthew Linn. One of the gifts observed by the people who have these experiences is an understanding of how close our deceased loves ones are to us after they die. Although we generally are not attuned to their presence, they are still with us in a very real way.

I’m always more aware of my mom’s presence in the spring, when the flowers and hummingbirds that she loved return to lighten our hearts. I especially think of her when I see irises, columbine, bleeding heart, lilies of the valley, vinca, roses, salvia, Stella de Oro daylilies, gladiolus, globe amaranth, zinnias, cockscomb, and clematis, all of which she planted at our house in Leavenworth. When my parents married and bought their first house, my mom told my dad she wanted to plant some flowers, and he said, “Why? You can’t eat them!” I’m grateful that she was not swayed by his philosophy and instead followed her instincts to bring beauty to our home through flowers.

My gardens have always primarily contained vegetables, but now that I am at the Mount, I hope I can learn how to grow flowers as well, especially as a way of honoring my mom’s continued presence in my life.

1 comment:

  1. And flowers so honor God. My mother was crazy about lilacs and pussy-willows. They bring me close to her; and to God

    ReplyDelete