Friday, May 12, 2017

God the Dream Maker

The Bible is full of stories that describe how God has communicated with people through dreams. Notable dreamers in the Bible include Jacob, Joseph the son of Jacob, Daniel, Jesus’ earthly father Joseph, the three magi, and Pilate’s wife. Today, we who live in the “Information Age” generally do not include dreams as one of our primary sources of knowledge. That’s unfortunate, because as Srs. Emily Meisel and Jeanne Ranek note in their seminar “Dream Work on the Spiritual Journey,” dreams are a powerful avenue of the communication of wisdom and are one way God seeks to help us achieve healing, growth, wholeness, and balance.

About two weeks ago, the thought crossed my mind that I should arrange a visit with my aunt and cousins from my mom’s side of the family (the Will family) before I enter the novitiate, but I haven’t contacted them yet. Then last night I dreamed that my dad, who was very devoted to family, was going away for a long period and was coming for a visit before he left. I turned the porch light on but I saw him go into the house next door, where my mom’s family was gathered. I heard someone say that he only had time to visit one side of the family, and he chose to visit the Wills. It appears my dream was encouraging me to follow my Dad’s example—and so I “will”!

I suspect I’ll be gifted with more dreams in the coming year and look forward to decoding the messages they provide. As Srs. Emily and Jeanne said, the God who lives in us is a dream maker and has endless imagination and dreams for our healing and our growth. We need to do our part by being receptive, writing down any dreams we remember, and making them part of our lectio practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment