Monday, September 25, 2017

Abundance Mentality

Throughout my life, I have not always had what I wanted, but I have always had what I needed, and even more (as attested by my ongoing struggle to maintain a healthy weight). In spite of a lifetime of evidence that God will provide, however, I still find myself operating out of a scarcity mentality (I’d better keep that, because you never know when I might need it!). The often unconscious belief “There’s not enough to go around; I’d better be sure there’s enough for me,” which is so prevalent in our world, leads to tragic consequences as some people hoard wealth and resources while others suffer from hunger, war, lack of clean water and sanitation, and lack of health care.

Our worship aid on Sunday, September 24, included a thought-provoking quote from John Shea: “Remember, you are now in a consciousness called the kingdom of heaven and not in a consciousness that could be called “Comparative Status” or “Fear of Not Getting What You Deserve.” You do not need to worry and look out for yourself, for the One for whom you work knows what you need and is only too willing to supply it. You no longer live in the envious world of comparison but in the abundant world of God’s goodness.”

People with an abundance mentality are grateful and generous and live simply. By reminding ourselves of God’s everlasting history of goodness through praying the psalms, reading scripture, and recalling our blessings, we can live with trust and become an oasis of abundance for others in the midst of a perceived desert of scarcity. The psalmist invited us to taste and see the goodness of the Lord; today it is more important than ever to extend that invitation to others and radiate the joy of the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment