Monday, September 11, 2017

Life in Unexpected Places

The other day, when Sister Alberta and I were harvesting grapes in the Mount vineyard, she came upon a small bird’s nest nestled among the grape vines.

It was a tender reminder that life often appears in unexpected places. The cricket chirping in the stairwell, the invitation to consider a new ministry, the kindness and generosity shown by strangers to persons recovering from illness or catastrophe—they break into our consciousness with piercing clarity. They remind us that we are shaped by our choices of what to attend to. As José Ortega y Gasset said, “Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are.”

Recently I received a card from friends that featured a quote by Rumi: “Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.” I came to the Mount because I sensed that the community here would help fan my flames, and they are doing that by teaching me how to listen and be aware of the presence of Christ in all of creation, be it in bird’s nests, the wine at our Eucharistic table, or the suffering of people battered by storms and poverty. I am grateful for the daily lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment