Friday, September 8, 2017

An Ecosystem of Prayer

Often I walk to the Mount cemetery and sit on a bench to practice centering prayer and lectio divina. Something about being outside makes it easier to feel grounded and breathe deeply. The towering fir trees, expanse of sky, and oak leaves shimmying in the breeze make me grateful for God’s creative spirit. Bird calls, the tickling of ants as they traverse my toes, and nearby colonies of flat mushrooms remind me that earth is teeming with life and creating ecosystems I’m not even aware of. The row upon row of tombstones connect me with sisters who lived with fidelity on this patch of land and quietly remind me that death awaits me, too.

Earth is a divine teacher. We need to protect her and safeguard her wisdom so we and future generations can continue to learn about who God is and what God calls us to be through the world God created and entrusted to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment