Monday, May 4, 2020

Opening the Gate


My mom’s Uncle George was a taciturn cattleman whose eyes betrayed a shrewd intelligence. I gather that he teased my mom unmercifully when she was a child and a young woman. However, after her beloved father died of a brain tumor when she was in her mid twenties, my mom was able to lean on Uncle George, and it was he who walked her down the aisle at her wedding.

I suspect that my mom’s uncle came to mind yesterday because in the Gospel reading Jesus said “I am the gate,” and Uncle George’s last name was Gates (changed from the German Goetz when he immigrated to the United States). If we are to imitate Christ in all things, then we too should attempt to be gates for others, as Uncle George was a gateway to the understanding of God’s support and protection for my mom.

Although Christ is the primary gate by which we come to know God, we can be smaller gateways to God’s love, compassion, mercy, wisdom, and steadfastness for others. By being open conduits of the life of God flowing through us, we can invite others to overcome obstacles and join us on the way. When others knock, may we be a gate that leads to fuller life in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment