Monday, May 25, 2020

We Remember Them

I won't be able to visit graves on Memorial Day this year, but I can remember my deceased family and friends in other ways. In this poem, for example.

Outsourcing

They all prayed my father would rest in peace
   whereas he I’m quite certain was much
relieved to discover a long list of chores awaiting
       a watchmaker’s skills in the heavens

            Spinning galaxies
                           wobbling off axis     
   spewing
                                s t a r d u s t
                              were long overdue                
              for synchronization

And angels were in need of precise adjustments
       to maintain their hairspring balance
                        on the head
                             of a
                             pin

Meanwhile, my mother
     was awarded a route filling
              neglected hummingbird feeders
                     with ruby nectar

               My friend Joan assists overtasked bees
           in pollinating the almond trees

My grandmothers ensure that pies
don’t bubble over in the oven

And when my time comes
I’ll be the one who makes your
book of poetry fall open to
j u s t
           the right
                 page

                             —Jennifer Halling, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment