Friday, March 5, 2021

The Balm of Hospitality

Hospitality is an important part of the Benedictine charism, because it is a practice that reminds us to try to see Christ in others. As Jesus says in Matthew 25:35-36, “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.” Hospitality is so important, Jesus says it is the criteria that will be used to determine if we will inherit God’s kingdom.

Although it may seem obvious, writer Olivia Laing made an observation about hospitality I hadn’t considered before: “Hospitality, the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers, is a word that shares its origin with hospital, a place to treat sick or injured people.”

Given this connection, it appears that hospitality is like the balm of Gilead, a rare perfume used medicinally that has come to be interpreted as a spiritual medicine. When we offer hospitality to another, we offer the spiritual medicine of acceptance, comfort, and acknowledgment. Interestingly, the word “Gilead” means “hill of testimony,” so when we offer hospitality, we also are testifying to our belief that everyone is part of the body of Christ and deserving of attention and care.

In the past several years, we have witnessed a growing tendency in our society to wall off, separate, and reject others based on political beliefs, race, and socioeconomic status. We also have experienced physical isolation from each other for more than a year because of the COVID-19 virus. It is time to enlarge and open our attitudes and actions by making a conscious effort to offer the balm of hospitality to others — if not in person, then through avenues such as phone calls, cards, interaction on social media, and prayer.

Christ is all around us in people who are physically and spiritually hungry, thirsty, and sick, as well as in strangers and those in prison. When we offer hospitality to them, we find that we are already a part of the kingdom (kin-dom) of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment