Friday, September 16, 2016

Listening to Stories with the Ear of the Heart

Since my arrival at the Mount, a number of Sisters have started conversations with me by saying, “Stop me if I’ve told you this story before….” I think they are worried they will bore me, without recognizing that our most-repeated stories are the ones that are the most sacred!

In The Book of Awakening, Mark Nepo comments, “Often we repeat stories, not because we are forgetful or indulgent, but because there is too much meaning to digest in one expression. So we keep sharing the story that presses on our heart until we understand it all.”

In class this week, Sr. Mary Irene Nowell asked if we had a favorite Psalm, and once again I found myself telling a tale from my pilgrimage to Wales this past spring, before I joined the Mount as a postulant. I was absorbing the stunning beauty of the sea and cliffs at Aberdaron and thought to myself, “I should take my inheritance from my parents and buy a little cottage here—or at least go visit all the beautiful places in the world. And what am I doing instead? Moving to dusty little old Atchison!” Soon thereafter I went to morning prayer, and Sr. Therese Elias directed us to turn to Psalm 16, where I read, “God, you measure out my portion, the shape of my future; you mark off the best place for me to enjoy my inheritance.”

That story presses on my heart for a number of reasons. First, never before have I had such a clear, direct, speedy, and humorous response from God; second, it gave me a sense of peace about my decision to join the Mount community; and third, it provided the insight that being a Benedictine at Atchison is my inheritance. No wonder I need to keep repeating the story.

Part of the call of community is to keep telling our stories and to listen to the stories of others “with the ear of the heart.” You want me to stop you if I’ve heard your story before? That would be very un-Benedictine of me, wouldn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment