Friday, January 20, 2017

How Prayer Works

I once heard it said that the most useless things in life are the most valuable, which certainly applies to prayer. Time spent in prayer might appear to wasted because often it does not seem to produce measurable results. That notion was refuted by Pope Francis, who said, “You pray for the hungry. Then you feed them. That’s how prayer works.” However, the value of prayer extends beyond moving us to action.

People who pray are keepers of the truth that all people and all creation are beloved of God. In my study as a postulant, I am learning that people who pray the psalms become the voice of all creation and that we pray in the name of the entire Body of Christ. Thus persons who aren’t able to pray themselves, including the sick, dying, exploited, or oppressed, are given a voice in our prayer. It is a matter of witness, of upholding the truth, of validating the dignity of all people, and of providing hope.

Part of the reason I joined the Mount was my belief that the ancient monastic traditions are valuable and even critical to the survival and well being of humankind, and that at least some people need to devote themselves to practicing those traditions of prayer, community, and hospitality. I shouldn’t expect others to do it if I’m not willing to do it myself.

Fr. Hilary Ottensmeyer said, “Until you are convinced that prayer is the best use of your time, you will not find time for prayer.” As I continue on the path of postulancy, I’m becoming more convinced, and I am grateful that the Mount is so generously nurturing my practice of prayer.
.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jennifer. I honor your decision to transition into contemplative life and feel that it will be right for you. Your blogs are great. The Ignatian challenge to be 'Contemplatives in action' has been a guide for me. I feel that I always seek the correct balance, while knowing that the balance I have is the correct one. Let us pray.... and Let us act.... -Dan Boyd

    ReplyDelete