Monday, January 2, 2017

Wakefulness of Spirit

The beginning of a new year is a natural time for self-examination and initiation of positive changes. I usually make a few New Year’s resolutions, but my commitment is often lacking, and my resolutions generally fade quickly. This year, I thought it might help to reframe my resolutions with the goal of increasing my “wakefulness of spirit,” a phrase Mark Nepo uses in The Book of Awakening. With that in mind, here are my goals for the new year:

• To be more awake to the spirit of the Mount community and the opportunities and challenges awaiting us in the coming years, I will recite our “Prayer for the Election of a New Prioress” daily.

• To be more awake to the spirit of words, I will memorize a new poem every month in 2017.

• To be more awake to the spirit of creativity, I will read a passage each day from A Book of Wonders by one of the most creative people I’ve ever known, Fr. Edward Hays.

• To be more awake to the spirit of a healthy body, I will cut down on my sugar intake and practice tai chi several times a week.

• To be more awake to the spirit of prayer, I will commit to a regular practice of lectio divina.

At the end of January, I’ll evaluate whether my wakefulness of spirit has increased and let you know how I’m doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment