Friday, February 8, 2019

Abram and the Love of Money


At morning prayer these days our scripture readings are following the saga of Abram/Abraham. It’s such a familiar story that sometimes I feel like there is nothing new to glean from it. Then, this morning, the following line about Abram and Lot caught my attention: “…their possessions were so great that they could not live together.”And how did Abram acquire all these possessions? When he and Sarai fled into Egypt to escape famine, Abram passed off Sarai as his sister rather than his wife. Because of her beauty Pharoah took Sarai as his wife, and “Abram fared well on her account, and he acquired sheep, oxen, male and female servants, male and female donkeys, and camels.”

Abram let his desire for wealth imperil his relationships with his closest family members. Somewhere in his transformation into our holy father Abraham, however, he learned the wisdom expressed in Hebrews 13:5: “Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have; for God has said, “I will never leave you or forsake you.”

Clearly, Abraham’s story continues to offer new food for meditation. This time, it has led me to the following question: What transformation will I undergo when I learn to trust that God will never leave me or forsake me, in spite of my faults and failings?

No comments:

Post a Comment