Wednesday, October 16, 2019

The Courage of Receptivity


Jesuit priest Dean Brackley, who taught and ministered in El Salvador from 1990-2011, said this to students and other visitors who came to the country for brief immersion trips: “Have the courage to lose control…to feel useless…to listen…to receive.” This sound advice is useful not just for persons immersed in an unfamiliar culture but for all people who value humility as a tool for growing in wisdom and kindness. Usually we think of needing courage when we are about to take action in some way, but courage is also required to release our desire to control our circumstances and be receptive to what other people have to offer.

Last night I had my annual initial formation review meeting with the eight other members of my living group and two members of the Formation Team. Although Psalm 139 assures me that I dwell continually in God’s awareness (“you know when I sit and when I stand; you are familiar with all my ways”), I’m still not accustomed to being the center of attention and was quite ready for the session to conclude after the first of five areas of discussion! Nonetheless, my willingness to (1) give up control of the conversation, (2) listen to the observations of others regarding both my strengths/gifts and limitations/opportunities for further growth, and (3) receive the wisdom of others who have lived in a monastic community for a long time allowed me to be nurtured and encouraged in the practice of conversatio, that is, openness to change/conversion.

One wise aspect of monastic life—that great experiment in communal living that has been going on for 1500+ years—is to put structures in place (such as retreats and annual review meetings during the years of initial formation) that ensure we have opportunities to listen, receive, and practice conversatio. Although most of us tend to resist examining the ways we might need to change, mustering the courage to be receptive to such an examination leads to a holy experience, especially when you have the support of a group of loving, insightful, and wise companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment